Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Day 7 (5/20)

Tuesday, May 20
All day excursion to Mauthausen

This morning we met in the lobby at 8:15 AM, I'm feeling a little sluggish today!
We went to the Westbahnhof and we grabbed a sandwich and hurried to the train.
The train ride was about two hours and 45 minutes, then we got off and ran super fast to the connecting train there. I shouted "I didn't sign up for a PE class!" We barely made it.
We had a lot of good laughs on the train.
From the train station, we rode in taxis to












Mauthausen, the camp. it was a rough driver, I felt sick when we got there.
First, we watched an intense 40 minute video just telling and showing survivors. We had two and a half hours to walk around on our own within the camp. We got an audio guide. It was such a huge place. All of the information and places and items in the museum were extremely exhausting and overwhelming. Even though I've learned about this in school, it is so much to take in and grasp at once. It's emotional. Sad. Sickening. Angering. All at once.
I started to feel bad because I was thinking about how hot and tired and hungry I was as I was walking around looking at the places that people died within the camp.
We met up at 4 PM to have a discussion. The discussion was just about impressions of the camp. We sat around in the snack shop for 30 minutes, I ate some Kelly's chips and peanut M&Ms. We got our same taxis back, but I rode with the better driver, who is also playing some funky music. She was so funny!
We caught the 10 minute train and then long train. I'm trying not to write much about complaining in here because I want the experiences in here to be the good ones. But sometimes people just get on my nerves. And ruin the moment.
We caught the long train back and there were lots of laughs and being silly on that ride. I was making fun of Elizabeth's laugh and mocking it causing everyone else to bust out laughing.
 We got back to the westbahnhof around 9:15 PM. I got a cheesy bread and some chips for dinner and they were both good enough. We stayed there for a bit to use the Wi-Fi since it was better than the hotel Wi-Fi. And then after a while we went back to the hotel.

We got back to the hotel I went to hang out with Elizabeth Alan and Jessica in the girls room. We sat around and talked until 12:45 AM or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.